Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wine Tasting Notes - Weekend Catch-up #2

We had a real treat over the weekend as some company brought over a bottle of 1999 J Pinot Noir. J is a vineyard in Sonoma that my wife and I had visited last summer and it probably ended up as our favorite Sonoma winery (although I admit we spent most of our time in Napa). By the way, if you're planning a trip to Napa/Sonoma, let me know, happy to provide some suggestions. J is known for it's Brut and it's Pinot Noir, so when I saw this I was very excited to pop the cork. Now being a '99 I will say that's getting up there for a Pinot Noir. Typically a Pinot will age well for 5-10 years so this one was up there. Fortunately it had aged well, with the only indication of it's age being that it had a bit of cloudiness when poured. The nose was perfect for a good Pinot Noir, nice and fruity. The drink itself was soft as a pillow and had a great fruitiness. Overall I loved this wine, just like I do several other varieties from J. I would totally recommend their wines and am very happy to have received this from our guests. I encourage you to find some J next time you're out and as always, enjoy the first miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment